As use of Internet banking platforms are becoming popular for processing financial transactions in Nigeria, Internet fraudsters are also on the prowl to defraud unsuspecting users of the online service.
Customers of many banks and other financial institutions have been receiving e-mails that appear to come from their bank.
These emails are examples of a common type of email fraud known as ‘phishing’. These e-mails are completely random and are not from your bank. They are fraudulent attempts to obtain personal details. You are not to respond to them.
Here are a few security tips provided by Zenith Bank Nigeria Plc to avoiding failing into the hands of Internet fraudsters while carrying out Internet banking.
- Never divulge your full Internet banking access code, username and password or your ATM pin.
- Never respond to an e-mail that asks for your confidential or personal security information
- Always verify the url where you are entering your login details.
- Install and maintain anti-virus software
- Install and activate a personal firewall
- Keep your computer software up to date.