Home Big Story Facebook: 108 million Nigerians unconnected to Internet

Facebook: 108 million Nigerians unconnected to Internet

Facebook: 108 million Nigerians unconnected to Internet
0

A new report released by McKinsey & Company in collaboration with Facebook has revealed that 108 million Nigerians are unconnected to the Internet.

Reasons such as low incomes and affordability, user capability and infrastructure were identified as the major barriers to connecting Nigerians like their counterparts the world over, according to the report.

According to the report titled “Offline and falling behind: Barriers to Internet adoption,” in 2013, Nigeria ranked sixth among the countries with high unconnected population.

Of the 108 million unconnected Nigerians 37% live in urban areas while 63% are found in the rural areas. Seventy two percent of the unconnected belong to the low-income group while the remaining 28% are of the high income group.

The report further revealed that 42% of the offline population is literate whereas, the remaining 58% are illiterate. Seventy four percent of the unconnected are between the ages of zero and 24, twenty one percent are between the ages of 25 and 54 while the remaining five percent are 55 years and above. The female folks comprise 57% percent whereas, 43% are male.

 

KV Free Directory AD
Kayode Oladeinde Technology Journalist at Technology Times. Mobile: +234 (0) 7031526929

We want to hear from you...