The Federal Government has signalled that rising xenophobic tensions in South Africa could have implications for the operating environment of major South African businesses operating in Nigeria, particularly telecoms giant MTN Nigeria, and other firms with significant investments in the country.
The warning comes as anti-immigration groups in South Africa intensify campaigns against foreign nationals ahead of a June 30 deadline issued by some activist groups demanding that undocumented migrants leave the country.
In Nigeria, South African-linked companies maintain a strong presence across banking, broadcasting, hospitality and financial services. These include MTN Nigeria, the nation’s largest mobile network operator with over 95 million phone subscribers, Stanbic IBTC, majority-owned by South Africa’s Standard Bank Group, MultiChoice, operator of the DStv platform, and hotel brands such as Protea.
Speaking during an interview with TVC News on anti-migrant protests in South Africa, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Minister of Foreign Affairs, expressed concern over the treatment of Nigerians in the country and suggested that lawmakers could consider measures aimed at making South Africa “feel the pinch” if the attacks and harassment of Nigerians continue.

“Nobody is asking them to provide proof of identity, nobody is asking South African staff that go to work here whether they are South Africans or Nigerians and nobody is taking over their shops or their businesses. But this is happening to Nigerians in South Africa,” she said.
South Africa’s xenophobia: Lawmakers to decide fate of MTN Nigeria, minister says
Responding to concerns about firms such as MTN and other South African companies operating in Nigeria, Odumegwu-Ojukwu stressed that Nigerians have generally allowed South African businesses to operate freely despite recurring tensions.
“Nobody is asking them to provide proof of identity, nobody is asking South African staff that go to work here whether they are South Africans or Nigerians and nobody is taking over their shops or their businesses. But this is happening to Nigerians in South Africa,” she said.
Odumegwu-Ojukwu revealed that discussions with South African authorities had not provided the assurances Nigeria was seeking. According to the minister, South African authorities cited difficulties in protecting migrants because foreign nationals are dispersed across local communities rather than concentrated in designated areas.
“I must say the conversation was not particularly encouraging,” she said, referring to engagements with her South African counterpart.
The minister also accused South Africa of failing to fully implement a previously agreed memorandum designed to provide early warning mechanisms during periods of tension.
“We signed this memorandum. Once they got back to South Africa, they decided that they weren’t going to adhere to it,” she said.
Although South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has publicly condemned vigilantism and insisted that ordinary citizens have no authority to demand identity documents from migrants, Odumegwu-Ojukwu said stronger action is still needed to curb harassment and attacks. Drawing a comparison with a previous diplomatic intervention in Ghana, she said Nigerian authorities had not seen the same level of urgency from South Africa.
While the minister stopped short of endorsing direct action against South African firms, she acknowledged growing calls for a review of Nigeria’s response.
“Those options are not on the table for me. The options are on the table for our legislators. They themselves will come up with what steps that need to be taken to make South Africa feel the pinch,” she said.
The minister argued that continued attacks were already harming South Africa’s international image, adding that the country has been “stained with the stigma of a xenophobic country.”


























Home