The Nigerian Communications Commission says that MTN Nigeria Communications Limited, the biggest mobile network and Globacom Limited, the Second National Operator (SNO), have paid a total of N34 million fine for alleged rule breach on number porting, which allows mobile phone subscribers to retain their unique number when they switch service provider.
NCC also says it is commencing enforcement actions against 26 telecoms companies to recover spectrum fees owed government by the affected companies.
The telecoms watchdog did not provide details of the alleged breach by the two telecoms companies, but only reported that out of the N34 million fine for number porting breach, Globacom paid heftier chunk of N22 million.
On the other hand, MTN Nigeria, which is at the centre of the unprecedented N1.04 trillion fine for alleged non-registration of over 5 million of its subscribers, is again allegedly implicated in the number porting non-compliance.
This time around, MTN Nigeria was fined a total of N22 million by the telecoms watchdog.
“Both companies have paid up the fines”, the telecoms watchdog says in a report outlining its key compliance monitoring and enforcement activities undertaken Quarter 4, 2015.
NCC also said that it issued a public notice as a final pre-enforcement notice and warning to the companies owing spectrum fees.
According to the telecoms regulator, three companies have so far settled their outstanding spectrum fees namely: GiCell Wireless Limited, Galaxy Information Technology and Telecommunications Limited and LM Ericsson Nigeria Limited.
The telecoms watchdog says intends to commence enforcement action against 26 companies that have allegedly defaulted in payment “to recover the debt.”
According to NCC, the 26 companies affected include:
- INDORAMA ELEME PETROCHEMICALS LIMITED
- ALLIED BOND STANDARD LIMITED
- DISC COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
- ELTEL COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
- EM WEST AFRICA LIMITED
- FYBERTEL COMMUNICATIONS NIG. LIMITED
- GLOBAL I-BURST NIG. LIMITED
- GLOBAL TOUCH (W.A) LIMITED
- IMPERIAL TELECOMS LIMITED
- INDEPENDENT TELEPHONE NETWORKS LIMITED
- INTERNATIONAL MONITOR CO. LIMITED
- LT MOBILE NIG. LIMITED
- MIDMANE INVESTMENT LIMITED
- MOBITEL LIMITED
- OMAR COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED
- PEACE GLOBAL SATELLITE LIMITED
- PREST CABLE & SATELLITE TV SYS LIMITED
- RAINBOWNET LIMITED
- RELIANCE TELECOMMUNICATIONS (RELTEL)-ZOOM MOBILE
- RENNA TELECOMS LIMITED
- SAXEL LIMITED
- SIEMENS GROUP NIG. LIMITED
- SNYTEL I.G WILLS COMM. LIMITED
- TC AFRICA
- TOPCOM NIGERIA LIMITED
- WEBCOM NIGERIA LIMITED