Indian anti-radiation organisation, Brightsandz says that tests have shown that 4G LTE technology emit high radiation that is injurious to human health.
Brightsandz says it discovered that 4G LTE base stations can harm human health when they are installed very close to residential homes.
If you have ever suspected the positioning of cell towers or telecom masts very close to residential homes as dangerous, you are not alone in this as a recent discovery seems to prove right the suspicion.
[quote font=”georgia” font_size=”22″ font_style=”italic” align=”left” arrow=”yes”]The anti-radiation company says that it is the frequency radiation that poses the health danger. The 4G technology comes with higher frequency band compared to the 3G or 2G, Brightsandz says. For example, Ultra high frequency is the ITU designation for radio frequencies in the range between 300 MHz and 3 GHz. A 2300 MHz carrier 4G launch would mean higher degree of radiation than 4G at 700/800 MHz. The higher the frequency band launch would also mean more cell towers for service unit demand per unit area.[/quote]4G LTE is the Fourth Generation Long Term Evolution of wireless mobile telecommunications technology, succeeding 3G (third generation). The 4G/LTE network has much faster bandwidth than the previous 3G incarnation, thereby providing faster mobile Internet on mobile device.
Brightsandz says it recently analysed five health issues associated with 4G tower positioned close to residential homes in its latest anti-radiation report themed: Is 4G radiation more harmful?
According to Brightsandz, it is not about the 4G as a technology, but it is about the frequency bands/carriers that 4G is launched at.
The anti-radiation company says that it is the frequency radiation that poses the health danger. The 4G technology comes with higher frequency band compared to the 3G or 2G, Brightsandz says. For example, Ultra high frequency is the ITU designation for radio frequencies in the range between 300 MHz and 3 GHz. A 2300 MHz carrier 4G launch would mean higher degree of radiation than 4G at 700/800 MHz. The higher the frequency band launch would also mean more cell towers for service unit demand per unit area.
Secondly, Brightsandz says that device manufacturers are equipping their devices with ever strong antennas and transmitters to provide the edge in terms of data experience. “Most of these OEMs adhere to the SAR ratings – but then SAR ratings are derived inside controlled laboratory environments and do not take into account network conditions. All of this leads to higher device EMR (radiation) and EMF (magnetic fields)
Thirdly, while network roll outs are happening at full throttle, 4G network is still patchy – and devices struggle with shadow areas, signal black outs, low coverages – thereby leading to spikes in phone radiation. These spikes in radiation are hazardous to human health, according to Brightsandz.
Fourthly, better consumer experiences on data speeds will lead to higher hours spent on the devices – increasing addiction and times spent on smartphone will lead to higher exposure rates.
And lastly, increased usage, more powerful devices, low coverage and shadow area scenarios will sap out the cellphone batteries. High drainage and frequent charging will lead to high EMF from the phones.
Brightsandz says that while it is not averse to 4G, it is critical to understand the pitfalls of 4G under the current circumstances. Lifestyle changes such as avoiding addiction to smartphones and use of landlines and wired internet can help in reducing excessive radiation exposure from 4G devices.
“Under no circumstance do we, Brightsandz decry telecommunication or cell towers or 4G phones. All we are keen about it is for people to be aware of the risks associated with these new technologies. 60% of exposure avoidance is about changing lifestyle habits – and then there are device solutions such as anti-radiation phone pouches,” says the anti-radiation organisation.
Brightsandz made the following recommendations to help reduce the risks associated with the new technology:
- Also, it noted that pregnant ladies, babies and toddlers are most vulnerable groups – so extra precautions should be exercised to avoid over exposure. Precaution is needed especially as it relates to health issues.
- In case you have a 4G tower less than 150 metres from your home, there is a cause of concern. It is advisable to get radiation exposure at your home checked. Call for a radiation assessment – especially if you have kids less than 10 years or pregnant ladies in your home.
- Do not use 4G at low reception areas – check the signal on your cellphone. If it is less than 2 bars – we would advise you not to use the phone unless it is very urgent.
- Do not please carry the cell phone if it is not necessary. Use Air-tube earphones to reduce EMR exposure at the head side.
- Reduce your online time. You can print the material and read on paper instead – or take a walk away from radiation area after working online for some time.
- Do not use the phone if on charging. Reduce phone usage unless urgent and imperative
- Switch off WiFi when not in use. It increases radiation effects especially when it searches availability of networks.